I Am Brown
Original title: I Am Brown
Original language: English
Age group: 2 - 5
Categories: Fiction, Illustration.
Inclusive towards: Race
Author: Ashok Banker
Illustrator: Sandhya Prabhat
Number of pages: 32
Format (in mm): 240 x 220
I am brown. I am beautiful. I am perfect. I designed this computer. I ran this race. I won this prize. I wrote this book. A joyful celebration of the skin you're in - of being brown, of being amazing, of being you.
- 'An empowering book for all children to read and a beautiful reminder about self-love, dreaming big, culture and self-acceptance.' – Here Wee Read
- 'Such a joyful book! A must-have for your shelf, and definitely schools and libraries.' – Bookbairn
'Upbeat and uplifting.' - Kirkus Reviews
- 'A note-perfect hymn about acceptance, pride and belonging' – The Guardian
- 'A total joy to behold. The gorgeous illustrations and story provide a positive mantra for all children of any ethnicity and background – with the central message that you can be anything you want to be, don’t hold yourself back. Highly recommended.' – Emily Drabble, BookTrust
- 'This is not just a book about being brown. This book is fundamentally the voice of every child, and every child is amazing. Simply one of the most joyful books I have seen for a long time. I can’t wait to share it in my library' – Bookmonsters
Info on author:
Ashok Banker is the bestselling and critically acclaimed author of over 60 books which have sold over 3.2 million copies in 21 countries and 61 languages. This is his debut picture book.
Info on illustrator:
Sandhya Prabhat, an independent animator and illustrator from India, has published nearly a dozen picture books. She also animates videos and designs e-stickers. She has worked on projects for Google, Snapchat, Wechat and Carolina Panthers.